Thursday, March 22, 2012

Book Review: Foe by J.M. Coetzee

I can't believe I haven't done a "Book of the Month" since July! I have been reading books but I just haven't been writing about them.

I had to read Foe for school, I don't think I would have picked it up otherwise. It's not that I dislike this book it is just that I can't stand books written in 1st person and this one is written that way. There is just too much of rambling and Foe is just rambling!

Foe is J.M Coetzee's answer to Robinson Crusoe (by Daniel Defoe) it is written around a woman named Susan Barton and her endeavors. In the beginning of the books she arrives to the same island Robinson and Friday are living on. They all embark on a journey to London, Robinson doesn't survive the trip.

In London Susan meets Mr. Foe (supposedly Daniel Defoe) and starts writing him letters, he never answers those letters. Susan goes to Mr. Foe's house and notices he has gone in hiding and starts living in his house and pretending she is his housekeeper.

The story isn't over then but I don't wanna ruin the surprises that are on the way.

Whilst reading the story I pitied Susan, she was just such a whiny little bastard! To add on everything she pretty much stalked Mr. Foe since he was supposed to make her famous.

A part of the book made me quite sick, that is the parts when Susan is (what I can only assume) being raped, first by Robinson and then later by Mr. Foe.

In this quote Susan woke up and realized Robinson was fondling her:
"I pushed his hand away and made to rise, but he held me. No doubt I might have freed myself, for I was stronger than he. But I thought, He has not known a woman for fifteen years, why should he not have his desire? So I resisted no more but let him do as he wished" (page 30)
Similar thing happened when she was with Mr. Foe
"Then he was up on me, and I might have thought myself in Cruso's arms again; for they were men of the same time of life, and heavy in the lower body, though neither was stout; and their way with a woman too was much the same. I closed my eyes, trying to find my way back to the island, to the wind and wave-roar; but no, the island was lost, cut off from me by a thousand leagues of watery waste." (page 139)
I find these quotes describe Susan's character quite well, she just doesn't really care things just seem to happen to her.

I would recommend to read this book, it's sadly not available for kindle but it can be bought at Amazon.com   for $10.44





No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I try to answer all of the comments but you can as well reach me on twitter @tafraises

Bisous

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...