Saturday, May 5, 2012

Making Homemade Oat Milk

I have two confessions to make. The first one is that I am lactose intolerant and the second one is that I love cheese.

Since I love cheese I try to portion my lactose intake. Therefore, I don't drink milk and I don't eat yogurt and I buy lactose free cream. I wanted to change things up when I bake and make smoothies since I sometimes use milk in these things. I did some research and found a tremendous amount of information about milk substitute, after I talked it over with my sister she suggested I could make milk from oats. 

The ingredients are few: oats and water. Some people use salt but I don't like adding salt in something like that. I rarely add salt in things because I believe there is too much salt being used in the world! 

There are six simple steps in making homemade oat milk.

First, the ingredients:

125 ml (1/2 cup) of oats
water for soaking
water for boiling 
750 ml water for blending


Second, soaking 
Put the oats in a bowl and let them soak for at least 8 hours (I let mine soak for 24 hours) in the fridge

Third, boiling
Sieve the oats, rinse and squeeze. Place them in pot with some water and let cook them for 40 minutes.


Fourth, blend
Put the oats in a blender and add 750ml of cold water and blend it for couple of minutes.


Fifth, sieve through a muslin (I used baby burp muslin cloth, perfect size)
It takes some time to sieve it through the muslin, there is oat gunk that blocks the flow of the milk


Sixth, optional, sieve again.
There was a tiny bit of oat gunk left that sank to the bottom of the jug. Thus, I decided to sieve again!


This yields about 1 liter (33.8 fl oz) of oat milk.

I saved the gunk and dried it in the oven. There isn't a lot of it but it is still useful!

So what does oat milk taste like? Well, it tastes like the water when you are boiling oatmeal. It is a simple but pleasant taste.

Bisous


2 comments :

  1. awesome, thank you! and exactly the same reason i am looking for alternatives... cant go past cheese- have made almond milk which was lovely but oat milk is my favourite, so I am planning on giving this a go! I have to buy a blender- used my food processor for the almond milk- my bench wasnt a pretty sight after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese is just soo good!

      I couldn't survive without my blender :P

      Delete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I try to answer all of the comments but you can as well reach me on twitter @tafraises

Bisous

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...